Digestive system problems such as heartburn, gas, bloating and constipation reflect what’s happening throughout your body and is an indicator of your gut health.
The main drivers of a healthy digestive system change are shifts in stomach acid, gut immunity, and gastrointestinal flora—the complex ecosystem of bacteria in your digestive system. When gut health is good, you’re less likely to experience damaging inflammation and lapses in immunity.
The following ways to improve your digestive system may sound surprising because they’re not just about diet.
5 Ways to improve gut health
- Eat the right foods. A balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables provides the fiber that builds good bacteria and gut health. Other foods that build a healthy digestive system include yogurt and other fermented or pickled foods such pickled ginger.
- Get more sleep. Not getting enough sleep is linked to a higher prevalence of obesity, which sets you up for digestive system disorders.
- Move more. As with other aspects of health, exercise is the best way to lose weight and maintain a healthy body weight to ward off digestive system problems.
- Manage stress. Reducing stress is fundamental to reducing heartburn. There’s no magic diet that works. Try relaxation therapies along with discussing relevant medication with your pharmacist.
- Get help for issues like anxiety and depression. Mood and digestive system health (especially disorders like irritable bowel syndrome) are closely linked via the brain-gut connection.
Source: KK Publishers